Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Book Review: Bossypants

I’ve been meaning to read Tina Fey’s Bossypants forever. Finally I picked it up on our way to a little weekend getaway. When we arrived at the condo I plopped myself on the couch and began to devour this humorous read. LOVED it. I mean you guys, I was laughing out loud and not the kind of snicker that people may think is cute, the kind where people are thinking this chick is annoying and if she wants to continue to read that book she needs to lock herself in a sound proof closet and shut up about it. I knew this, which is why I continued to read amongst the crowd, laugh obnoxiously and say, “Okay, you’ve got to hear this, just this one part.” I would proceed to read a quote and they would proceed to look at me like, Hello… the closet is right around the corner.
I think if you are a woman, you will enjoy this book. You will relate to her in one area or another. I related strongly with her feelings surrounding her scar. It is similar to how I feel about my height.

“I’ve always been able to tell a lot about people by whether they ask me about my scar. Some people are just dumb: ‘Did a cat scratch you?” God bless. Those sweet dum-dums I never mind. Then there’s another sort of person who thinks it makes them brave or sensitive or wonderfully direct to ask me about it right away. They ask with a quite, feigned empathy, ‘How did you get your scar?’ The grossest move is when they say they’re only curious because ‘It’s so beautiful.’ Ugh. Disgusting. They might as well walk up and say, ‘May I be amazing at you?’My whole life, people who ask about my scar within one week of knowing me have invariably turned out to be egomaniacs of average intelligence or less.” P.8, Bossypants, Tina Fey
From here on out when you ask me, “So how tall are you?” I’m going to look upon you with soft eyes and say, “You are such a sweet little dum-dum.”

Tina, unlike most famous and successful people somehow does not make you feel bad about yourself. Maybe it is because she reveals every embarrassing haircut, beauty mistake or underwear choice she has ever made and displays it in a manner which will have you paint a picture of her in an oversized T shirt, biker shorts and a fanny pack.
Praise for Tina Fey!

1 comment :