Thursday, July 5, 2012

This Got Me Thinking

A question was posed on twitter last week by writer, Angela, whom I admire and follow. The question: “Would you recognize yourself if you peered in from ten years ago?"
This question had me thinking all week. My immediate response? Hell no. My 17 year old self would have been mortified. What? I’m 27 with a 2 year old daughter and another baby on the way, wearing some unfortunate maternity shirt looking chubby and exhausted. I would have most likely been shocked by her stay-at-home-mom status, spending her days cleaning up puddles of pee and folding laundry.
After I spent some time thinking about how different my life could have been without the overwhelming calling of motherhood I realized, perhaps, I should not be taking the opinion of my 17 year old self so seriously. Today I opposed her view with the same jaw-dropped shock in mind. No I never thought by 27 I’d live in such a beautiful home, have the opportunity to watch my beautiful little daughter grow up. Never thought I’d be lucky enough to be having another baby with a husband I adore and admire. Ten years ago, I wouldn’t have known that what seems to be such an ordinary life may be one of the more extraordinary ones.
So, how would you have answered Angela’s question?

2 comments :

  1. Well 10 years ago, we wouldn't have you yet, and that would have just sucked!!!

    I would NEVER want to go back 10 years... I've worked to hard to get away from it!! I'm with you... very grateful and humbled to be where I am and have the opportunity to dote on my children and husband... The. Best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me cry. stop it. :-) Life is interesting and I love it! I'm glad you are in mine!

    ReplyDelete