Sunday, January 5, 2014

Why I Left...

I was in the front seat of my mom’s car while she drove. Something about her being the driver and I, the passenger makes me feel like I’m 14 again, chomping at the bit to get to my next social engagement. Hoping she won't be offended when I ask her to park a block away. However, this time I’m 28, married with two kids and we’re going to look for some lamps. 

She’s all10 and 2, and like a good driver not looking at me at all when she asks, “So… why did you stop blogging?” 

I could tell she had been working up the courage to ask me, by the cheerful crescendo at the end of her sentence. 
                                                                                                                                                          photo
“Well, a lot of reason’s really. I didn’t know what my blog was. I think if I was confused everyone else was, Right? I mean is it a mommy blog? A cooking blog? A crafting blog (let’s hope not). Or is it just a place to post cynical observations of the bachelor?” 

Mom, nods her head, “Right, I see. Like it needs some sort of niche?”

“Yes,” I said. “I use to have a little time while Milly napped, but now she does’t nap and Mack has been such a difficult baby. I mean, at three months he was taking one 30 minute nap. The kid has just about killed me.” 

Mom, still making no eye contact, “Ya I see. I get it. Well, we’re here, let’s go see how these lamps look on those nightstands.” The car doors opened, the conversation never revisited. As for the lamps? They look fabulous. 

1 comment :

  1. I am glad you are writing again! I really live the way you write

    ReplyDelete