Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Book Review: Educated: A Memoir

This was well written. And her story is one that needs to be told. Like, holy shit, if your childhood was actually like that than you owe the world your story.

This memoir reminds me a lot of The Glass Castle. So it's something you have to be willing to stomach. But unlike the Glass Castle this memoir had some familiar topics, namely she was raised Mormon. However, it's like no other Mormon upbringing I've ever heard of. The way this family practiced Mormonism was grossly mislead by her bipolar Dad. Yet, even with this understanding it still bothered me. 

I found it made me feel somewhat bad raising my kids as Mormon as if I'm part of a masterfully manipulative plan. In truth it made me even more insecure about my faith and the role it plays in my life and in my children's life. Which is something I grapple with often. So for me, personally, I wish I'd never read as it was triggering for me.

 I applaud this author. She overcomes a hell of a lot and she should be proud of herself. Her story proves that humans are stronger than we know and the old adage that we can do anything we put our minds to may actually be true.

But all I can say is it got to me and not in a good way. I've spoken with a few friends that had similar impressions. I would say if you have the ability to maintain perfect objectification than, okay, read it. And for the others read at your own risk. 

Just another reminder that words are powerful because they create stories and stories make us feel.


No comments :

Post a Comment