Thursday, June 28, 2012

Potty Training

I started potty training Milly on Monday despite people's suggestions to wait until she's about to enter college. I was uber prepared for this adventure. I had read and re-read a potty training book. I was equiped with snacks, drinks, cute panties a peeing dolly and a training potty. Milly has been showing signs of being ready for awhile, yet I still considered holding her off, but then I realized pre-school and a new baby will be here in the fall and this was my window to get the job done.
Milly was really excited when I told her what the day was going to entail, until I put those panties on her. It was a bit of a fight at first. At one point I wanted to put a diaper on myself, suck my thumb and be the screaming baby Milly so wanted to revert back to and then yell, "Ha, two can play at this game!"
Instead I toughed it out for the first day and by the next day something in her had clicked, by the third day, she did not have one accident. I'm so proud of her! I wouldn't say we're out of the woods yet. She pooed in the potty the first day, but hasn't done it since. Any advice on this front? Also, what did you do when your kids had to actually leave the house, without the comfort of their training potty? I'm nervous.
p.s. I read, Toilet Training in Less than a Day and I'm so glad I had that guidance, plus a quick, panicked call to your sister-in-law never hurts either.

6 comments :

  1. All I can say about this is that potty training is one of the hardest parts of parenting. Especially when you have a stubborn child. So congrats on conquering the first few days. I think mothers deserve a vacation and maybe a Nobel prize for accomplishing such a feat. My biggest gripe about the whole dealio though....public toilets! And even after potty training four little butts, I still don't have a fool proof answer for that. It makes me wanna slather on the hand sanitizer just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,
      Thanks for your comment. Please remind mason when you see him next about the whole vacation/nobel prize concept. (The man thinks I'm crazy!)

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJuly 01, 2012

    I'd say bring a small potty chair and leave it in the car. Or you can use the portable training seat and sanitize that bad boy when you get home. But I don't have any kids yet so I really don't know what to tell you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what the book suggested. Though I haven't worked up the nerve to do long outing with her yet.

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJuly 02, 2012

    I always have a change of clothes for Avery in the car and I always have those small packages of Clorox wipes. I have used those travel paper seat covers for vacation or big public outings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was so good to see you on saturday. You know I love you more than my luggage.

      Delete