Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Book Review: The Bedwetter

With a title like that how could I resist? My sister actually bought me this book for my Birthday. It was perfect as I had been meaning to get around to it. I've said this a time or two on this blog but I love to support women in Comedy. I've read Tina Fey's Bossy Pants and Rachel Dratch's Girl Walks into a Bar so it only seemed natural to read another autobiography by a female SNL comedian.

So I'll just say this. I loved it. I laughed out loud. I found her personal story fascinating. I enjoyed the way she spoke about her family. Family shapes us more than anything and her love for them came oozing out of this book as she softly made humorous puns at each of them. Our connection to the family we came from constantly amazes me.

One conversation she had with her dad stuck out to me. She was attending NYU during the day and trying to be comedian by night by working at a comedy club. Her dad called her up and said he would't tell this to her sisters but,  "Sarah you seem like you really know what you want to do with your life. You have my permission to quit NYU and pursue comedy full time. I will pay for your rent and utilities in Lou of your tuition because I believe in you." This sweet conversation touched me. To have a crazy dream like being a comedian and then to have someone tell you that they believe you can actually do it. Few things are as strong as real honest heart felt encouragement.

If you want a good laugh and can stomach some potty humor you should give it a read.

Cheers to Sarah Silverman!

1 comment :

  1. I need to read this! I might borrow it from you.

    ReplyDelete