Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Book Review: The Haunting of Hill House

In late September Mason said, "We need to sit down and make a list of all the things we need to get done this fall." I didn't know what he was talking about. I mean I had already bought two Halloween books and a pair of ankle boots. What more could I have possibly done? He spouted off a list of chores around the house. Something about painting the doors, cleaning out the garage and sorting through the junk in the basement. After that I stopped listening.

Since my list is clearly more fun let's review one of those books I mentioned. The Haunting of Hill House had all the necessary spooky story components. It introduced us to interesting characters that we immediately wanted to know more about. A scary old house with a legacy of haunting rumors and stories. The set up was perfect. The drive to the house was long and scary, the town it was in was enough to make you run. The initial tour of the home and the servants who work there made for deep curiosity. Though it fizzled. It really did. It built up and built up and then let me down. I have to say it was the definition of anticlimactic. Sorry, but it's true.

I have to give it two out of five stars.

No comments :

Post a Comment